SIX DAYS OF CREATION courses in icon painting provide intensive instruction in the art and language of the icon from the perspective of Orthodox Church tradition using the ancient technique of egg-tempera and palette of gold, semi-precious stones and refined clays.
Master Iconographer Ksenia Pokrovsky and her fellow iconographers Anna Gouriev and Marek Czarnecki lead students through the entire process, from preparing a gesso board to completion of an icon, including instruction on how to create pigments from natural clays and minerals, define the image with assiste gold lights, gild prescribed areas, calligraph inscriptions, and apply olifa varnishes.
- Wood panel preparation
- Adhearing linen to board with animal-hide glue
- Making marble & chalk base artistís gesso
- Selecting a prototype and making a drawing
- Transferring drawing to the board
- Egg-tempera medium preparation
- Grinding natural pigments to make paint
- Applying basecoat color (roskrish)
- Lighting the figure
- Applying highlight finishes
- Calligraphic inscriptions
- Applying assiste and gold leaf
- Varnishing of the icon
Courses are limited to 25 students at one time. All three painting teachers assist in classes of at least 15 persons.
Form more information go to the Hexaemeron website.