- This event has passed.
OTSA Symposium/Webinar, “Coronavirus & Communion Practice in the Orthodox Church”
August 22 @ 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm EDTFree
Saturday, August 22, from 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm EDT
The novel Coronavirus has changed the way we interact with one another in many areas of our everyday lives, including in our ecclesial setting. What has been the impact of the Pandemic on our ecclesial life, especially on our communion practice? On Saturday, August 22 from 12:00 – 2:00 pm EDT, OTSA will host a symposium to discuss this issue. This webinar will review the results of a recently commissioned survey of Orthodox clergy in the US/Canada on communion practice during this time and bring together a panel of scientists and theologians to present the science of the virus to ground our discussion and engage with one another as members of the Body of Christ.
- Survey Report: “Holy Communion during the Pandemic in American Orthodox Christian Parishes”
- Scientific Panel: Gayle Woloschak, PhD, Moderator
– Catherine Creticos, MD, Chief of Infectious Diseases at Illinois Masonic Medical Center and Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine, U. of Illinois at Chicago
– W. Christopher Matthews, MD, Professor Emeritus of Clinical Medicine, UCSD
– Hermina Nedelescu, PhD, Postdoctoral Fellow, Scripps Institute, San Diego
- Theological Panel: Fr. John Jillions, PhD, Moderator
– Deacon Nicholas Denysenko, PhD, Emil and Elfried Jochum Professor and Chair, Valparaiso University
– Sr. Dr. Vassa Larin, nun of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad and host of “Coffee with Sister Vassa”
– Fr. Anthony Roeber, PhD, Professor of Church History, St. Vladimirâ€™s Orthodox Theological Seminary
- Concluding Remarks by Bishop Alexis (Trader) of Bethesda (OCA)
The executive summary and report on “Holy Communion during the Pandemic in American Orthodox Christian Parishes” can be downloaded from: https://orthodoxreality.org/coronavirus-and-american-orthodox-parishes/
Register in advance for this webinar:
https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_48SgGf1IRxy-9ZpNE-Xc_A (If necessary, cut and paste the URL into your browser)
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.