NEW YORK – The Holy Eparchial Synod of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America convened for its regular spring meeting at the Synodal Chamber of the Archdiocesan headquarters in New York on April 20th, 21st and 22nd, 2015. His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios of America presided at the meeting with the participation of the Members of the Synod.
The Synod deliberated extensively on many matters including the following:
1) The Holy Synod discussed the progress of the publication of the text of the Divine Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom in Greek and English, which has been approved by the Ecumenical Patriarchate. This publication will be available very soon and it will serve the liturgical needs of the parishes of the Archdiocese; it will be comprised of two volumes, one for clergy, which will include liturgical rubrics, and one for the faithful (pew edition).
2) The Holy Synod worked on the English translation of the Regulations for Spiritual Courts of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America which (Greek text) has been approved by the Ecumenical Patriarchate. In addition the Synod deliberated and decided on disciplinary matters regarding clergy. Furthermore, the Synod discussed the problems faced by clergy families as well as the challenges of the clergy in their ministry and ways to address them.
3) The Synod discussed a variety of administrative subjects regarding parishes and Holy Monasteries of the Holy Archdiocese. Special discussion ensued on the needs of small parishes.
4) The Holy Synod approved to support a text prepared by Religious Leaders in America, for safeguarding the institution of Marriage. The Synod also discussed the noticeable increase of violence in our times worldwide, and especially the targeting and expulsion of Christians in traditionally Christian countries and elsewhere. Special emphasis was given to the kidnappings and murders in cold blood of Christians in areas of the Middle East and Africa. On this matter the Holy Synod issued a special statement.
5) There was a full briefing and discussion on the progress of the election of the new President for Hellenic College Holy Cross School of Theology. The Synod also deliberated on offering training opportunities to ministry leaders of the parishes of the Holy Archdiocese.
The three-day meeting of the Synod concluded in the afternoon of Wednesday, April 22.[subscribe2]