Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Now is the Time for the Greek Archdiocese to Switch to English
    • Orthodox Christian Administrative Unity 101
    • Church Unity, Holy Priesthood Subjects of Annual DLAW Clergy Seminar
    • American Orthodoxy in 2040 – with Fr. Andrew, Dcn. Seraphim, and Matthew Namee
    • Men and Orthodoxy, Revisited
    • Winter at SUPRASL : A Silent and Lonely Contentment
    • HCHC’s Scriptorium Initiative launches new website to preach and teach ‘beyond the seminary’
    • Archbishop Elpidophoros on the Establishment of a University and the Acquisition of St. Bartholomew’s Church
    Orthodox Christian Laity
    Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube
    • Home
    • OCL
      • About OCL
      • Leadership
      • OCL News
      • OCL Publications
      • Focused Study and Research Topics
      • OCL Archives at DePaul University
    • Orthodox News & Links
      • Orthodox News Stories
      • Headlines & News Archives
      • Governance & Unity
        • Governance Top Stories
        • Governance & Unity Commentary
        • Grassroots Unity in Action
      • OCL Forums
      • Orthodox Christian Laity News
      • Web Links
    • Audio & Video
      • Audio Index
      • Video Index
    • Contact
    • Make a Donation
    Orthodox Christian Laity
    You are at:Home»Orthodox News»The Most Mass Prayer Service in Defense of the Serbian Church Held in Montenegro

    The Most Mass Prayer Service in Defense of the Serbian Church Held in Montenegro

    1
    By Webmaster on February 3, 2020 Orthodox News, Orthodox News Top Stories
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Telegram WhatsApp Copy Link

    Source: Pravmir.com

    Photo credit: mitropolija.com

    The most mass procession in recent times with a prayer in defense of the Serbian Orthodox Church against the discriminatory law on religious communities took place on Sunday, February 2, in Podgorica, the capital of Montenegro.

    The meeting point became the square in front of the Church dedicated to the Resurrection of Christ in Podgorica, where Montenegrin “tribes” (clan unions) walked with flags and crosses from the surrounding districts during the day, RIA Novosti reports with reference to the local clergy.

    “This is the largest gathering so far, this temple does not remember a bigger one. The procession through the streets should take place peacefully and with dignity. We must be prepared for any provocations, we’ll go through the city center,”Archpriest Predrag Shchepanovich told those gathered.

    In addition to Podgorica, meetings of believers were held in many cities of Montenegro on February 2 starting from the Adriatic coast in Bar to the border with Serbia in Bijelo Pole.

    Rector of the Cetinus Seminary, Archpriest Goyko Perovich, said that processions and prayers gather up to 150 thousand people across the country on Thursdays and Sundays.

    It is noted that earlier the Montenegrin-Primorye Metropolis of the Serbian Orthodox Church reported on the upcoming verification of the controversial law in the Constitutional Court of Montenegro. In turn, the head of the metropolis, Metropolitan Amfilohij, said that he would not negotiate with the authorities of Montenegro, while the controversial law on religious associations remains in force.

    On the night of December 26-27, 2019, the Parliament of Montenegro (Skupschina) adopted a draft law “On Freedom of Religion and Belief and the Legal Status of Religious Communities”, which infringes on the interests of the Serbian Orthodox Church.

    The bill provides for the removal from the Serbian Church and transfer to the state ownership of objects and lands used by religious communities, if they belonged to the state before December 1, 1918, or if there are no documents on their registration as church property (most often the ancient shrines). We are talking about more than 650 shrines, including the famous Ostrog monastery, where St. Basil of Ostrog worked.

    Protesting against the controversial bill, Montenegrin residents took to the streets of cities, blocked roads, blocked bridges. Believers of Montenegro supported the Orthodox Serbs. The Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church also made a special statement.

    Photo credit: mitropolija.com

    Source: Foma (Russian). Translated by pravmir.com

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email WhatsApp Copy Link
    Previous ArticleGetting to Know our Orthodox Christian Saints who Lived, Labored and Served in America
    Next Article Saving St. Nicholas

    Related Posts

    February 13, 20263 Mins Read

    Orthodox Christian Administrative Unity 101

    February 12, 20261 Min Read

    Winter at SUPRASL : A Silent and Lonely Contentment

    February 11, 20264 Mins Read

    HCHC’s Scriptorium Initiative launches new website to preach and teach ‘beyond the seminary’

    1 Comment

    1. Iyad Gabbour on March 1, 2020 5:39 pm

      This is unbelievable – the devil at work.

      Reply
    Reply To Iyad Gabbour Cancel Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Sign the Declaration for Orthodox Unity – click here…

    Register for OCL's Annual Conference - October 11, 2025

    Sign the Declaration for Orthodox Christian Unity

    Enter the Slogan Contest

    Share this page
    DISCLAIMER

    All articles represent the views of the authors and  not necessarily the official views of Orthodox Christian Laity (OCL). They are posted to encourage thoughtful discussion on topics and concerns relevant to Orthodox Christians living in a pluralistic society. OCL encourages your comments.

    Stay Informed!

    Subscribe to our Newsletter

    WE WELCOME YOUR INPUT AND SUPPORT!

    Your donation impacts and helps advance the unity of the Orthodox Church of America.

    DONATE NOW

    THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT!

    Upcoming Events
    Notice
    There are no upcoming events.
    Recent Comments
    • Peter Ray Millman on Christian Zionism Is a Heresy
    • Bob Karp on Archbishop Elpidophoros on the Establishment of a University and the Acquisition of St. Bartholomew’s Church
    • Jk on Now is the Time for the Greek Archdiocese to Switch to English
    • Peter on Now is the Time for the Greek Archdiocese to Switch to English
    • James Pellanis on Christian Zionism Is a Heresy
    • RYAN DUNN on Ethiopian Bible is the oldest and complete bible on earth
    • RYAN DUNN on Ethiopian Bible is the oldest and complete bible on earth
    • Peter on Christian Zionism Is a Heresy
    • Kenneth on Walk with Us: Orthodox Volunteer Corps (OVC)
    • George Prothas on THE IMPORTANCE OF A PARISH MENTORING PROGRAM For Inquirers, Catechumens, and Newly Orthodox
    OCL Archives Online
    Project for Orthodox Renewal
    renewal-resize
    OCL Digital Newsletter

    Subscribe to our Newsletter

    MAKE A DONATION

    Sign the Declaration for Orthodox Christian Unity

    Facebook
    Twitter
    YouTube

    St. Symeon the New Theologian and St. Photini are the Patron Saints of OCL

    footer-fnl

    Orthodox Christian Laity
    PO Box 6954

    West Palm Beach, FL · 33405
    561-585-0245

    ocladmin@ocl.org (or) orthodoxchristianlaity@gmail.com

    Sponsored by Ann Souvall in memory of husband George

    DISCLAIMER: All articles represent the views of the authors and  not necessarily the official views of Orthodox Christian Laity (OCL). They are posted to encourage thoughtful discussion on topics and concerns relevant to Orthodox Christians living in a pluralistic society. OCL encourages your comments.

    ©2025 Orthodox Christian Laity (OCL) ·  Login

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.